Sinus infection, also known as rhinosinusitis, is a swelling and inflammation of the tissues lining nasal cavities. It is usually caused by a virus and persists even after other symptoms vanish. In some instances, bacteria and even fungus can lead to sinus infection. Moreover, other conditions such as tooth infections, allergies, and nasal polyps are potential culprits of a sinus infection. Sinusitis can be treated at NY urgent care clinics, and you don’t have to worry about the long hospital queue in an urgency. We, at Walk-In Clinic of NYC offers urgent care for various illnesses including allergies, sore throat, sinusitis, and many more.
Some of the conditions that cause sinus infection include:
- Common cold
- Deviated septum
- Allergic rhinitis
- Nasal polyps
If you have a green or yellow nasal discharge, or more than two symptoms then, it may be an acute sinus infection. Given below are the main symptoms of sinusitis.
- Loss of smell
- Facial pressure or pain
- Bad breath
- Stuffed-up nose
- Running nose
- Congestion or cough
- Dental pain
These symptoms usually last for 12 weeks or more.
- Discolored postnasal drainage
- Pus in the nasal cavity
- Nasal blockage
Types of sinus infection
- Acute sinus infection – The initial symptoms of acute sinusitis include a stuffy, running nose and facial pressure or pain, which usually last for 2-4 weeks.
- On the other hand, subacute sinus swelling may last 4- 12 weeks.
- Chronic sinus infection – The symptoms of chronic sinusitis last 12 weeks or more.
- Repetitive sinusitis occurs several times a year.
Almost all the NY urgent care clinics, provide treatment for all the types of a sinus infection.
Potential victims of sinusitis
There are lots of people who get a sinus infection. Every year, around 35 million Americans have sinusitis. The potential victims of sinus infection are those who have:
- Blocked drainage ducts
- Nasal polyps
- Swelling inside the nose
- Structural differences that lead to narrowing of the ducts
- Immune system deficiencies
- Medication that suppress the immune system
Things that cause sinus infection in children include allergies, smoke in the environment, pacifiers, illnesses from other children at school, and bottle drinking while on the bed.
Treatment and management
If you suffer from acute sinusitis, your doctor may prescribe you saline nasal wash and to use a decongestant. Avoid using an over-the-counter decongestant for more than 3 days because it can even worse your congestion.
You must take the antibiotics prescribed by your doctor for 10 -14 days at least. You have to undergo a treatment to get rid of sinus infection symptoms.
If you have a chronic sinus infection, warm, moist air is helpful. You can either inhale steam or use a vaporizer.
The following are some of the important things you have to do to reduce chronic sinusitis:
- Use saline nose drops. These are completely safe to use.
- Warm compresses can help to reduce the pain in the nose and sinuses.
- Over-the-counter decongestant sprays or drops are helpful.
How to prevent sinus infection?
The first and foremost thing you need to do to avoid sinus infection is to stay away from things that irritate your nose and sinus. Here are some of the tips that help to prevent sinusitis.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Stay away from all the allergens.
- Avoid nasal irritants including smoke and pollution.
- Keep your nostrils moist using nasal saline drops or spray.
- Seek your doctors help if you want to quit something.
- Try to maintain a healthy lifestyle and a strong immune system.
There are several treatments and procedures for both acute and chronic sinus infection offered by NY urgent care clinics. If you are looking for a sinus infection relief, contact Walk-In Clinic of NYC. They are the best, reliable NY urgent care clinic.