We understand just how exciting this time of the year is. Trust us when we say, “We love going to the beach too.” That said, you also need to prepare yourself for both the fun days and the “dog days” of summer. It’s not just toddlers or the elderly that need to worry about things like dehydration or overheating. It’s that magical time of the year where most of our kids are out of school, and we’re all gearing up for vacations or fun in the sun. Our Urgent Care Doctors in NYC here at the Urgent Care Clinic strive to provide amazing Urgent Care in NYC. Our patients constantly let us know that we’re the best Urgent Care Clinic, and we don’t take that distinction lightly. We also like to help keep our patients healthy and happy throughout the year. As we gear up for summer, we hope you’ll do yourself a favor and check out these helpful “cool summer tips” from the Walk-In Clinic of NYC to help make your summer even cooler:
- Pace yourself. Getting a workout is great at almost any time or place. An exception to that is when it’s extremely hot outside. The reason for this is actually easier to explain than most people may think. When our bodies perspire (or sweat), we lose water. The hotter it is outside, the more we will sweat. Our muscles and internal organs also tend to work twice as hard on hotter days as well. Just be careful out there, and take it easy.
- Keep hydrated. This one kind of ties in with “losing water.” On hotter days, our bodies will naturally perspire (or sweat) more with or without us engaging in a lot of physical activity outside. It’s important to hydrate regularly, and if possible, make sure you pack any water bottle with ice. Or, just buy a bottle that includes a freezer stick inside of it.
- Listen to your body. If you’re tired, if you’re having trouble breathing, or if you just generally feel sluggish or faint outside on a hotter day, listen to your body. Don’t push yourself any harder than needed on a hotter day. Stay cool and stay as safe as possible.
- Stay in the shade (when possible). When you’re on a beach, this one may be a bit harder. But even on a beach, you should be able to find an umbrella or some sort of shaded area/building nearby. Be sure to wear sunglasses and apply sunscreen whenever possible on any hot & sunny days. You’ll be thankful later (trust us).
- Wear light clothing (when appropriate). This one is pretty simple to explain. When it’s hotter outside, our bodies are naturally working harder to compensate. Wearing jeans or sweatpants and long-sleeved tops aren’t good to wear in hotter weather. In fact, longer or heavier clothing can cause us to perspire (or sweat) a lot more. Wearing lighter clothing allows us to move around easier and feel much more comfortable in the heat.
You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to do anything and everything you can to stay safe this summer. Of course, that doesn’t mean you should just stay inside with the air conditioner on, however. In fact, getting outside and enjoying yourself is a big part of what makes summer so much fun! Just be sure to keep our helpful “cool summer tips” in mind when you and your loved ones venture out into the world this summer. If you have any concerns, or you haven’t had a check-up in a while, be sure to visit us here at the Walk-In Clinic of NYC today.
Do You Need To Get A Check-Up? Do You Have Another Type Of Medical Concern?
Here at the NY Urgent Care Clinic, each of our Urgent Care Doctors strives to provide only the best Urgent Care in NYC. Our patients constantly let us know that we’re the best Urgent Care Clinic in New York, and we don’t take that distinction lightly. If you have any questions or concerns prior to your visit, feel free to give us a call at (212) 686-5800.
Here at the Walk-In Clinic of NYC, we take pride in knowing that our patients always feel like we have their best interests at heart. Our Urgent Care Doctors here at the NY Urgent Care Clinic strive to provide amazing Urgent Care in NYC. Our patients constantly let us know that we’re the best Urgent Care Clinic in New York, and we don’t take that distinction lightly. With all of that being said, physical fitness is a big part of staying healthy year-round as well. The Walk-In Clinic of NYC has some helpful tips to get you started off on the right path. Here are the basics:
Did You Know?
“The Department of Health and Human Services recommends at least 150 minutes per week for most adults between the ages of 18 and over. That’s under 30 minutes per day, every day, 5 to 7 days a week. That’s less time spent exercising than watching your favorite show on television! The fact of the matter is, most adults 18 and over only need around 30 minutes of exercise or vigorous physical activity daily (5 to 7 days a week) to maintain a healthy weight.”
Start off with 30 minutes a day
This will achieve a great foundation for physical fitness including:
- Building more muscle.
- Losing more weight,
- Focusing on a new look for yourself.
- Or training for that marathon you’ve been talking about for a while.
- Please remember to drink lots of water throughout every workout as well!
With only 30 minutes of exercise or vigorous physical activity per day, you can rest assured you’ll feel good about any workout program you’re starting. Why? Because you’ll have mastered the basics, and you’ll learn more about what your body can and can’t handle. It’s that easy!
Types Of Exercises You Can Do In Just 30 Minutes
- Cardio. This can be running, jogging, or climbing steps on a machine at your local gym. Please remember to drink lots of water throughout every workout.
- Yoga. Chances are you’ve probably heard someone talk about it in person or write about it online. Yoga is a great way to enhance flexibility, lose weight, and increase stamina.
The exercises mentioned above are great, primarily because they can be done almost anywhere; whether that’s at home, or at the gym. You can get 30 minutes of physical activity in almost any location at any time day or night. You can also use a combination of each of those workouts as you progress through your routines and turn your workouts and figure out whatever works for you.
Just Don’t Over Do It!
Many studies have found that people who exercise 60 minutes or more per day as opposed to 30 minutes per day see almost no differences in their physical or mental health. If you aren’t an athlete? You don’t have to train like one! Physical fitness can be a wonderful and enjoyable experience when it’s done for body maintenance and your overall health. One of the biggest reasons many people stop a workout regime after starting one is they try and do “too much, too soon.” At some point, should you decide to eventually make your workouts longer and more vigorous at some point? You’ll already have the knowledge and tools necessary to make each workout as safe and enjoyable as you possibly can.
A healthy amount of knowledge generally leads to a healthier mind and body. Do yourself a favor and inform yourself before getting into any type of routine that you’re unsure about doing. Don’t be afraid to consult your local healthcare professional and get a physical done to make sure you’re healthy enough to begin any type of new exercise regime. You should never take any unnecessary risks when it comes to your health and well-being. The experts here at the urgent care Walk-In Clinic in NYC are highly experienced and ready to address any of your concerns.
Are You In Need Of A Check-Up? Do You Have Any Other Medical Concerns?
Here at the Urgent Care Clinic, each of our Urgent Care Doctors strives to provide only the best Urgent Care in NYC. Our patients constantly let us know that we’re the best Urgent Care Clinic in New York, and we don’t take that distinction lightly. If you have any questions or concerns prior to your visit, feel free to give us a call at (212) 686-5800.